Friday, January 7, 2011

Dear Gibson,

Today has been very low-key, just us hanging out at home for the most part.  We went to Grandpa Gary's house last night and you and Georgia got to stay there while I went grocery shopping.  I had to get a break from you two!  When I got there to pick you up, Grandma 'Loa had made sandwiches so we ate dinner there.  After dinner, Grandpa asked what you were going to do for the rest of the night, and you told him that you wanted to sit on his lap and watch football.  It was so cute.  It made me even more grateful for the relationship you have with him.  While we were there, you asked Grandma to tell you about the first time she met you.  We didn't really dwell on the subject, but I thought I would use this letter to tell you that story, even though it is rather short.

You were born on January 15th, 2005.  At that time, Grandma and Grandpa were finishing a mission in the Bahamas.  I had gone there to visit them when I was just a few weeks pregnant with you; other than that visit, they were gone for my pregnancy and your birth.  When you were 2-1/2 weeks old, they were going to be flying home to Oregon.  They didn't have any plans to visit Utah for a couple of months, and so they weren't going to see you for a while.  At the last minute (literally the night before), I decided to buy a plane ticket and travel with my parents to be there when they arrived home.  It was a big surprise!  We got there a day early and cleaned the house, got some groceries, and a few other things to get ready.  Mom & Dad went to the airport, and I stayed home with you.  When I heard the garage door open, I rushed to the upstairs bedroom.  I heard them come in, my dad was hauling all of the luggage.  I could tell they were both really tired.  My mom said something along the lines that the kids really wished they could be here.  Then grandma said that would have been really nice.  Then, taking the hint, I walked down the stairs with you in my arms.  Surprise!  Oh, Gibson, it was priceless!  They were, indeed, surprised.  We spent a long time hugging and they both wanted to hold their newest great-grandson.  We spent a few days with them, until it was time to get back home and settle into the permanent routine.  It was a really nice break, and your first vacation!  As I recall, you traveled really well.  On that trip, we put you on rice cereal, and you started sleeping 5 hours straight.  I felt like a new woman!  And yes, for the record, two week old is very young to start cereal - but you loved it and so did I. 

So that's the story, short and sweet, but ever since then you've always had a soft spot especially for Grandpa Gary.  You refer to him as your "best buddy" and jump at any chance you have to be with him.  I remember feeling the same way when I was little, and I still do.  I hope you make a lot of memories with him that will sustain you throughout your whole life, and that you never forget how special it is to have a great-grandpa that loves you as much as he does.  It is truly a unique blessing to have that kind of friendship.  Now we won't see them for a few days, since they're on their way to Arizona for the National Championship football game - Oregon vs. Auburn.  We'll hear about nothing else for...well, ever.  Go Ducks! Right?!

Love,
Mom

No comments: