Thursday, January 13, 2011

5 Things, Part 3

Dear Gibson,

Here is Proud Moment #3:
You learned the value of giving!  Last fall, a member of our ward came around collecting donations for "Pennies by the Inch," a fundraiser for the children's hospital.  He came into the living room, and waited while we went downstairs to the change jar and filled a plastic baggie with pennies.  You watched as I handed him the baggie, and he gave me a pamphlet outlining where the money was going.  I briefly explained to you as he was leaving that the money was going to help kids that are very sick.  I said goodbye to him, and closed the door.  Suddenly, you said, "Wait mom, I want to give some money, too."  I asked if you're sure, and you said yes.  I called the man back to the door, and told him that you wanted to donate some of your money.  You came out of your room, and poured two hanfuls of your pennies into an envelope.  As he left again, you had a big smile on your face and asked me if I thought that your pennies would help the sick kids.  I said yes, and you gave me a big hug.  You never mentioned the pennies again, but every now and then you mention that you felt really good when you helped the sick kids.

Giving service, in whatever form it may be in, is something that will bring you joy throughout your life.  There are times that it will be very hard, and you will have to make hard choices in order to make time for serving.  But, just like with the pennies, you will never look back and remember the sacrifices - you will only remember the blessings that came from them.  Always listen to the promptings that will lead you to those who need help.  And just like with the pennies, act on those feelings...as quickly as you can!  You will be an instrument of our Heavenly Father.  Every single "penny" that you give will make a difference in someones life.  And never forget that every day you make a difference in mine.  

Love,
Mommy

No comments: